Saturday, August 8, 2026

Everything I Learned About The Stars In Liza Minnelli's Memoir

Hello my cinemarolls welcome to August!! I hope you are all enjoying the last bit of summer and soaking in the cinematic experiences of The Odyssey & Spider-Man Brand New Day. This month I FINALLY finished Liza Minnelli's memoir: Kids, Wait Till You Hear This! (I started it in April). Going into this book I hardly knew anything about her life so I learned a lot about who she is. Liza is an indestructible powerhouse who I honestly believe is going to live forever considering everything she endured. Throughout her memoir, she recalls memories and moments she has with big names in Hollywood. I took note of everything that stood out to me and decided to compile some of the interesting things I learned here in simple bullet points (similar to how I do my main takeaways on Letterboxd). This book is a must read for both film and Broadway lovers out there so I hope you all check it out :)

-MJ

  • Frank Sinatra and Judy Garland had an affair while she was married to Liza's father Vincente Minnelli. They were in love with each other so much that Frank even bought Judy a ring. Both decided against marriage, but Judy wore the ring always.
  • Gene Kelly, Lucille Ball, and Desi Arnaz were among a few of their neighbors during Liza's childhood and were close family friends. Liza recalls trick or treating at Gene's house and remembers him pretending to be terrified of her costume.
  • Kay Thompson was Liza's godmother and a prominent mother figure throughout her life. Liza claims Kay allegedly based her character Eloise from Eloise at the Plaza off Liza.
  • Martin Scorsese and Liza had an affair while they were both married during the filming of New York, New York. During that same time, he was battling a cocaine addiction that almost cost him his directorial career. The theme song from that film was originally sung by Liza, but famously popularized by Frank Sinatra.
  • Elizabeth Taylor and Liza went to the same rehabilitation center: Hazelden Betty Ford Clinic. There's actually a picture of all three women at Studio 54 sitting down together at a booth. Elizabeth also in a way acted as Liza's sponsor and told her to go back to rehab when she relapsed the first time. 
  • Frank Sinatra often called Liza his third daughter. He was generous offering to pay for the entirety of Judy Garland's funeral and even lent Liza his private jet so she could fly to rehab. While on the Together Again Tour, Liza describes he was controlling, had a short temper, and everyone had to work around his own schedule. She believes he might have been bipolar. 
  • Michael Jackson and Liza were good friends. She even helped him develop his iconic moonwalk. 




No comments:

Post a Comment